What does it mean to be a mentor?
A mentor is a dependable, encouraging, and consistent source of one-on-one engagement as students move forward on a path to work and further training in their field. A Future Chefs mentor is invested in youth success, passionate about their career and available for scheduled group dinners. Mentor relationships are built on mutual trust and respect.
What is the role of the mentor?
- Supports students in a caring and appropriate manner
- Gives solicited advice and shares life experiences
- Helps the mentee locate opportunities or resources
- Interacts with the mentee as a mature, professional friend
What makes a good mentor?
- Desire to help youth grow and develop
- Responsible and caring demeanor
- Belief in the value and potential of all young people
- Respect for healthy boundaries
- Ability to remain patient and flexible
- Understand diverse, varied backgrounds